Kemmel was the scene of very heavy fighting involving both British and French troops during the second half of April 1918. However, the first burials at this site date from March 1915. Fighting units and field ambulances made further use of the cemetery until October 1917. After the war, the cemetery was expanded with the addition of a number of isolated graves from the battlefields around Kemmel.
There are now 315 Commonwealth war dead buried or commemorated here, more than a fifth of whom are unidentified. Special memorials for soldiers 'known/believed to be buried in this cemetery' were erected for four Australian casualties and two casualties from the United Kingdom.