The castle or chateau of Kemmel stood to the north-west of the village and the cemetery was opened on the north side of the castle park in December 1914. It remained in use until March 1918, following which it fell into German hands during the heavy fighting around the village at the end of April. By the time it was recaptured later in the year, the cemetery and the castle had both been largely destroyed by shellfire.
A total of 1,135 Commonwealth war dead from the First World War and 21 from the Second World War are now commemorated here, together with one soldier of a non-Commonwealth nationality.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.