Timber merchant Stefaan Decadt, is passionate about wine. This inspired him to begin with his own vineyard
in Heuvelland. On this 1 ha of land, he planted mainly early ripening grape varieties, such as Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris,
Pinot Auxerrois and, more recently, Chardonnay. In 2018, 1 ha was planted from the Acolon grape variety. With
this, stefaan wants to make a beautiful spicy and powerful wine. Thanks to the good drainage on his sloping plot
of ground, its thin sandy soil and the abundant presence of ironstone (so typical for our region), De Zavelaar
is ideally suited for wine-growing.
The name ‘Zavelaar’ comes from ‘zavel’, which means ‘coarse sand’. In Heuvelland, this refers to the ironrich
sand layer that was deposited in ancient times as sandbanks, when our region was still covered by the sea.
- Area planted with vines: 2 ha
- Grape varieties: Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Auxerrois, Chardonnay and Acolon
- Wine assortment: white and red wine and méthode traditionnelle
- no visits possible
- opposite the Dikkebusstraat 70, 8954 De Klijte
- Contact details: +32 476 59 08 87, www.bellini-beauty.be/zavelaar, email@example.com