Kemmel was the scene of heavy fighting involving British and French troops during the second half of April 1918, as a result of which the village fell into German hands from 26 April until the end of August. The origin of the cemetery is not known. It was found by the French Graves Services soon after the Armistice. A total of 296 Commonwealth war dead are now buried or commemorated here, of whom 250 are unidentified. There are also 94 German war graves.
The cemetery covers an area of 3,923 m² and is partially enclosed by a low brick wall.